- Last Updated on 25 May 2012
To be a leading Environmental NGO, developing, implementing, advocating and marketing the concept and practice of sustainable development and environmental protection in all spheres of endeavour, locally and internationally with particular focus on the management of the Blue and John Crow Mountains National Park.
Plans for the Future
JCDT’s goals represent its plans for the future and what it would like to see in five years time:
GOALS (as per Strategic Plan 2010 – 2014):
- Protect and conserve the natural and cultural heritage resources of the Blue and John Crow Mountains National Park
- Jamaicans understand the importance of, and are practicing sustainable use of their natural resources in their daily lives
- Jamaicans recognize the importance of the Blue and John Crow Mountains National Park as a national asset.
- To enhance the public profile of JCDT
- Improve and maintain an efficiently and effectively managed organisation
- Become financially sustainable within five years.
In particular, by 2014, JCDT would like to see:
- BJCMNP designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- The Blue and John Crow Mountains as Jamaica’s newest sustainable tourism destination through the Blue Mountains Sustainable Tourism Programme
- A carbon credit project being implemented in the Blue and John Crow Mountains
- Greater familiarity and appreciation of the BJCMNP
- Increased financial stability and sustainability for National Park management